About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, April 13, 2023

Three Firsts in One Day

On our final full day here in Utah, hiking at Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument delivered three firsts for me. A day like today reminds me how fortunate I am to be fit, to have a partner who loves the great outdoors, and to have the financial freedom to enjoy experiences like this. The firsts were ..

* Seeing quicksand up close and personal vs. seeing it depicted in a movie in a far-off exotic location.

* Seeing a live rattlesnake in the wild vs. in a cage. Our guide informed us that rattlers can only strike successfully if someone is within one half their length. Since this one measured about eighteen inches, as long as I remained more than twenty seven inches away, all would be well. I did NOT test this purported fact, i.e., I stood still - close enough to see the rattle moving rapidly - but a good deal farther away than twenty seven inches.  

* Hiking three-quarters of a mile through a slot canyon narrow enough that twenty extra pounds could have been a dealbreaker. 



4 comments:

  1. Impressive! All but the claustrophobic feeling I got reading about the slot canyon😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; Happy to report claustrophobia didn't come into the picture, scraped elbows aside.

      Delete
  2. Hello, again, Pat. What a great picture. To be honest, I'd be concerned about getting stuck in such a tight place - the added weight around my mid section coming first to mind - lol. But it does look like fun.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; I must say it was a tight spot but what an experience. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete