About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Book Backlog: Patrick Hat Trick

Third period. Though response to Book Backlog has been muted, I've been emboldened to continue by one reader who added No One Left to Come Looking for You to his list after the leadoff triple was published and a second who told me she was ready to discuss A Pale View of Hills after the field goal that closed the first half. Underwhelming but good enough to unveil today's hat trick, the penultimate installment in this limited run series. Ready?

1.) The Testament of Mary (2012) - Colm Toibin: A novella as provocative as it is compelling. Mary is an old woman facing a crisis of faith, haunted by her cowardice years ago as her son was persecuted and then crucified. And her recollection of those events is at odds with the men claiming to be her son's disciples. Colm Toibin has now ascended into my authors pantheon (#30 for those keeping track) with this winner, the fifth book of his I've read in less than thirteen years that has knocked me out.

https://reflectionsfromthebellcurve.blogspot.com/2022/08/always-on-lookout.html

2.) Both Flesh and Not (2012) - David Foster Wallace: A posthumous collection of essays by arguably the best mind of his generation. Wallace will challenge your intellect on nearly every page, and then quickly pivot and make you laugh uncontrollably. Although I still have not cracked his novels, his non-fiction is so staggering it doesn't matter. I'll be re-reading his work for the rest of my days. I miss him deeply. 

3.) Motherless Brooklyn (1999) - Jonathan Lethem: Skip the film version and go directly to the source. From the opening sentence, Lethem's kinetic prose, sharp dialogue, and propulsive narrative grab you and never let go. Though at its core this is a whodunit, the unique and heartbreaking voice of Lionel Essrog sets it apart from that over-crowded niche. I promise you've rarely - if ever - encountered a narrator like Lionel. Trust me. 


2 comments:

  1. Good morning, Pat. Hope you're enjoying this rainy weekend. I have to start my comment by letting you know that I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'No One Left to Come Looking for You'. Much different than I had expected but a very interesting read and a book that took me less than two days to complete. Thanks for the recommendation. And although I have heard of 'Motherless Brooklyn' - the film - I have not seen it and know very little about it. Will have to look for these three.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob; Thanks for the comment. I'm pleased "No One Left..." was to your liking. And I'm not at all surprised you raced through it; it's that kind of book.

      Delete