About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, June 24, 2023

A Hole in Time

Normally as I approach my laptop, several nascent ideas battle each other as potential topics for the day's reflection. 

But today, as my daughter and son-in-law begin their cross-country drive to a new home in Los Angeles, my usually restless blog brain is subdued. I recall only two earlier instances in the twelve + year lifespan of my blog when this has been the case - the day Hurricane Sandy hit the New Jersey shore in 2012 and the day my sister was hospitalized in 2020. Right this moment, reflecting on anything except the hole in my heart would feel inauthentic. What comparable moments have you experienced most recently in your life? 

When sadness threatened to overtake me yesterday as we assisted our daughter to prepare for the trip, my wife helped me remain reasonably grounded. She reminded me of my young adult adventures and how my parents might have felt at the time. My daughter is so much more emotionally intelligent than I was at her age, so much better at collaborating with others, so much more in tune with and fully connected to her parents. In short, even with her being far away for the foreseeable future, there's little for me to worry about and little excuse for feeling sorry for myself. That doesn't mean I won't worry or feel sorry for myself. Denying that would be also be inauthentic.        

4 comments:

  1. Good morning, Pat. To start, please wish your daughter and son-in-law every happiness in their new endeavor. Both an exciting and difficult time - for numerous reasons. My sister (whom I have been very close with since my earliest childhood memories) and bother-in-law (more like a brother to me) recently moved from East Brunswick (20 minute drive) to ... Buffalo !!! They have 4 children who are scattered from Western PA, to Nebraska, to Cambridge MA, to Buffalo. And since they have to travel to see any of them, they made the decision to move to Buffalo to be near their grandson, with a granddaughter on the way. And although I support the move, it was very difficult to see them go. Although I'm sure the tears that we shared when they left don't fully compare to those that you shared when your daughter left, I can get an idea for what you felt. I'm happy for my sister and brother in law and very much appreciate their love for the City and the Jersey Shore which will bring them back a few times each year and for the plans that Rose and I have to visit them. For those quick fixes - Texting, phone calls and FaceTime. I have no doubt you'll use them quite often, although I have a feeling you've already started. Exciting times, but change is usually difficult. Wishing you all the best.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for today's hat trick of comments. Yeah, this is a tough one for me. Lots of ambivalence about this change. But thanks for commiserating and for sharing a recent parallel story from your own life.

      Delete
  2. Love you and miss you already dad

    ReplyDelete