About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, June 22, 2023

Using My Passions to Shape a More Perfect World

"We must become the change we wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi 

Since the inception of my blog, every four years on June 22 I've published a post with my ideas about making the world a more perfect place. For this fourth iteration in the series, I decided to abandon the snark of my three previous visions and instead note here a single book, movie, and song that could have an actual chance of accomplishing a sacred objective of mine, i.e., improving the world, a little bit. 

To that end, please guide me and others by doing the same. Use my three passions and share here a book, movie, and song you believe could do what I hope my choices might. If you can't come up with all three, share one or two. I pledge to read, watch, and listen to every suggestion made by any reader who comments. I don't see a downside doing so. Do you? Imagine the riches we'd each be exposed to if every thinking person reading this post offered one or more suggestions. Isn't even the tiniest potential for making the world a better place worth this little effort? Please join me.  

Book: The Illusion of Separateness (2013) - Simon Van Booy

Movie: Soul (2020) - Disney/Pixar animated film, directed by Pete Docter 

Song: I Hope You Dance (2000) - LeeAnn Womack (composers: Mark D. Sanders, Tia Sillers)

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=i+hope+you+dance+download&type=E210US105G0#id=2&vid=23082bb28db6ee4e8623021a274e0d7c&action=click

6 comments:

  1. The movie Soul reminded me so much of you. What a beautiful little film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Anonymous"; I'm pretty sure I know who you are, i.e., the person who recommended this wonderful film to me. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. John Lennon's Imagine is my go to song for making the world a better place:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Hard to take issue with "Imagine" being a song that has the potential to make the world a better place. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Pat. A post to promote thinking early on a Tuesday morning. Actually a fine way to start the day, although the noise from the workers repairing the fence in our backyard is not the beneficial to early morning peace, but ...
    For me, I find Peace in the escape provided by a good movie, book or song. Something that allows my mind to drift, to go to another place .. to get lost in the moment. That happens more often for me with a good book, although a specific title escapes me. For a movie, I'd have to go with some of my favorites that, no matter what part of the film I find when channel surfing, I will stop and watch - West Side Story, Singing in the Rain, The Sting ... just to name a few. And for song - There are also a few ... 'Imagine' of course (thank you Ines), Peace Train, Love Train (two songs that are also great to walk to) ...
    I realize my comment may not be exactly in line with your request, finding happiness in what one does is always a good way to find Peace.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob; Thanks (redux) for the comment. And even if you are "...not exactly in line with the request..." (sic), it's still good to know a few films and songs that help you get lost in the moment.

      Delete