About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Friday, July 7, 2023

A Mangled Maxim

One of the main challenges any writer - noteworthy or unknown - routinely faces is keeping language fresh. For this unknown, this challenge is most acute when a book, film, piece of music, etc. moves me in a big way and I struggle to convey that without resorting to hackneyed phrases like triumph of the human spirit or tired book jacket adjectives like unforgettable

When The Rescue (2021) ended, every adjective, descriptive noun or phrase, even my verbs, all fell short in that struggle to capture how I felt. Normally, a film having this kind of impact on me would inspire a blog post the next time I sat down at my laptop. This time, after more than a week - with two posts in between - I'm still hunting for a fresh way to say mind-blowing. I briefly considered using "Words fail me" until the unintentional irony of that cliche sounded to me like the Grateful Dead ill-advisedly trying to harmonize.

As the days have elapsed since watching this exceptional (INADEQUATE, OVERUSED ADJECTIVE) documentary, my concern for keeping it fresh then began overlapping with a syndrome I've railed about here, i.e., hyperbole-itis.  Therefore, to avoid being justifiably labeled a hypocrite for indulging in a syndrome I first invented and then roundly condemned - all while trying to keep it fresh - I'll instead conclude with a mangled maxim: Concision is the better part of valor so...

See this film

p.s. I know it took me three paragraphs to earn the valor. Mea culpa.  

https://reflectionsfromthebellcurve.blogspot.com/2022/05/hyperbole-itis.html

   

2 comments:

  1. Good afternoon, Pat. I was, along with probably everyone else, was captivated by this story and how it unfolded. I would read the paper each day, as I usually do, for any updates, search the web for updates, and as I would read/listen there would be a fair amount of tears. The film managed to increase the tears and left me speechless. And knowing how it ended didn't take away any of the suspense, drama and emotions. I actually hadn't thought about it in some time and still don't have the words to properly describe it.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob (aka "record breaker"); Thanks (again) for the home run of comments day. I'm reasonably sure that film will be with me for the rest of my life.

      Delete