About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, July 16, 2023

Words for the Ages, Line Twenty-Six

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near."

Though some may find the second part too fatalistic, I'd argue Jim Morrison's lyric from Roadhouse Blues (1970) is cogent and memorable enough to belong in a series called words for the ages. Clearly the first part has the unassailable ring of truth and, considering Morrison's untimely demise less than a year after this song found its way onto Morrison Hotel, the second part has the added resonance of being ironically prophetic. 

Full disclosure: I was never a big Doors or Jim Morrison fan. But that's beside the point of this series. What I've aimed for here since 2017 are lyrical phrases that can stand alone, i.e., those that don't necessarily need rhymes to prop up or support them. The words I search for must contain a universal truth, i.e., for the ages. Finally, whatever I select must be terse enough for the average person to easily recall. Today's gem is nine words. In other words, lyrics semi-disguised as aphorisms.  

Got other Jim Morrison nuggets you want to nominate? How about a jewel from another lyricist? As previously mentioned, I'm most anxious to hear from anyone who can yank me closer to the 21st century. So far, all but one entry has been old enough that the series is in danger of exuding a slight whiff of eau-de-old-fart. Rescue this coot - if you can - via suggesting some words for the ages from more contemporary lyricists. Special shoutout to a recent anonymous commenter who nominated something from Hamilton. Only the length of that lyric (29 words) prevented it from making the cut.    

2 comments:

  1. Hello again, Pat. While there are any number of lyrics going through my head at any point in time, some, like a song that you just can't get out of your head, come at the most curious times. While I can hear Mr. Morrison singing that song as I read the lyrics, the one line that came to me is from a rather obscure band called 'TimBuk3' (spelling is a guess) and the lyric that came to me while I read your post is ...'The Futures So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades'. Not sure this fits jin with the aim of the post, but ....
    Be well,
    Bob



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob (part 2); I remember that song and ...I think you got the band name right. And it doesn't matter if the song "fits" the aim, what matters is you taking the time to respond. Thanks for that.

      Delete