About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Words That Can Haunt Me, Part 6: Cynicism

I'm exhausted by the rhetoric coming from both conventions these past few weeks. What happened to the engagement and enthusiasm I used to feel when a presidential election approached?

I clearly remember when the word cynic was a derisive term to level at others. It now seems to be more a word of self-description, at least when considering politics, American-style. What has most contributed to my increasing cynicism? Is it simply related to getting older? Is it the nagging feeling I've heard the same bromides too many times?  Is it tied to a sense that the whole process is broken at some fundamental level? Is it the inescapable 24/7 news cycle? If this word haunts you as it does me, I'm genuinely curious to know your reasons, no matter your side of the aisle.

And while on the whole aisle metaphor, that part clearly contributes to my cynicism. How did we end up with just two "electable" choices, anyway? Red/blue, elephant/donkey - what happened to the other five colors on the spectrum and the remainder of the animal kingdom? In my mind, I've composed a keynote speech and platform for a third political party. OK, add temporarily deranged to the list of words that can haunt me, at least until November 7. After that, I'll still be left with cynicism but somehow I doubt I'll be alone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment