About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, April 27, 2020

Surprise Me, Please

Of the dilemmas that bedevil me, the tension between the reliability of predictive behaviors in people and the perils of stereotyping is one that creates the most consistent cognitive dissonance. In other words, how do I best avoid stereotyping - and its uglier cousin, demonizing - when people frequently are so damn predictable? Although I'm confident not many people will admit they struggle with this as I do, I'm even more confident I'm not alone here on the bell curve.   

As for that vapid piece of conventional wisdom - "the exception proves the rule" - I don't know where to begin. What the hell does that even mean? Predictive behavior, ipso facto, is not an absolute; there are always exceptions. That's not the source of my cognitive dissonance. Let's use me as an example to help minimize defensiveness. Ready?

I'm a vegetarian. OK, respond to the following using that one piece of information: 
* Characterize my second amendment views. Be as inflammatory as you like, promise I won't object.
* If I have a religious affiliation, what is it?
* Predict one brand of car I'm likely to pick and one I'm unlikely to pick.

Since mass marketers have always made money using predictive behaviors - and now search engines are engineered to reinforce those same predictive tendencies - I know this genie is never going back where it belongs. But as someone who fights stereotyping, this is crazy making. If nothing else, I'd welcome surprising myself with my own behaviors more frequently than I do. At least then I'd be more receptive to being surprised by others. 
 

3 comments:

  1. Your car-one that still goes in reverse, even when forward stops working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed; Thanks for reading. If your comment was aimed at being a world class non sequitur, you hit it out of the park. If that was not your intent, I still got a good laugh reliving that shared memory of ours.

      Delete
    2. Great talking to you today. Wish I could remember these new words you are giving me.

      Delete