About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, February 5, 2022

Crawling Out Of The Covid Cocoon Via Music

Listening to live music this past week for the first time since Covid shut us down in March 2020 has me cautiously optimistic that we may finally be crawling out of our collective cocoon. Is my optimism misplaced? Any of you been to a concert - or anything resembling one - recently? 

I'm not cavalier about the ongoing threat and I'm mindful the Omicron variant is more contagious than what came earlier in the pandemic. Those considerations played in my head this past week listening to John Scofield. But seeing how scrupulous the Blue Note was checking vaccination cards made me rest a bit easier as I reveled in Scofield's astounding guitar wizardry. And, optimistic as I am, the next show I'm scheduled to see is not in a huge arena. That's a bridge too far just yet. 

Next up is John Fogerty in my first trip to the Count Basie theater since late 2019. That venue - with great sound and not a bad seat in the house - has been a favorite since we re-located to the Jersey shore in 2010. The one tune I'm most hoping Fogerty does that night is Bad Bad Boy from his 1997 recording entitled Blue Moon Swamp. Although Fogerty is not as technically accomplished as Scofield, his guitar playing can be just as moving. Take one listen to Fogerty's solos on Bad Bad Boy and see if you don't agree.

Man, how I've missed live music. 

6 comments:

  1. Hear, hear! (Pun intended.) We recently went to NJPAC to hear Mariza a fabulous Portuegese Fado Singer whose concert had been cancelled twice since the start of the pandemic. Proof of vacinations and masks were required and that made me feel safe and OK with a large venue. This past week we went to hear Tommy Lobello (spelling) at the Spring Meadow Golf Course. No requirements but we were at our own table physically distanced from the other tables and again I was OK with it. It was indeed a pleasure to hear live music. (We also went to the Count Basie for a dance concert and their other venue for live music last year before the Omicron variant hit us.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for the comment. NJPAC is another great NJ venue, although we haven't seen a show there in several years. Last time was well before Covid descended - will be keeping an eye on their near-future schedule. And though I'm unfamiliar with both Mariza and Tommy Lobello (spelling), I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed both. You beat us back to Count Basie, huh? Good for you!

      Delete
  2. Don't forget about Glen Hansard in March!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous (who is not anonymous to me); I haven't forgotten. I'm saving that weekend as the subject for another post.

      Delete
  3. Hello, Pat. OK, my first comment has to be 'John Scofield' !!!! That's great!!! And obviously I am quite jealous. I've always loved his work. And I love the Blue Note. Next, and equally important, good for you !! We recently saw Kelli O'Hara at the McCarter Theatre in Princeton.
    Masks required, of course, but an excellent concert and it felt great to be out like that again. Next up is Spyro Gyra, in March, at Count Basie and then a NY Rangers hockey game. I'm a huge Rangers fan and Rose got me tickets for my birthday.
    So ... Baby steps to begin but, again, it feels great to be out again. Can I repeat that I'm jealous that you saw John Scofield? Never mind - I just did - lol.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Anonymous" Bob; Baby steps indeed but I'm pleased to see the increasingly encouraging news coming out each day, especially here in NJ, where the rate of vaccination is among the highest in the U.S. Enjoy Spyro Gyra and your Rangers game and I promise not to gloat too much when I next see you about Scofield's show. Whew!

      Delete