About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Over-Easy, Year Seven

Considering how many people outside of Punxsutawney ever pay attention, does it strike anyone else as odd that of all the movies ever made about holidays few have come close to being as good as Groundhog Day?  What would be your nomination for a holiday film that is the equal of Harold Ramis's goofy 1993 masterpiece?

Although I'm not a big Bill Murray fan, Groundhog Day is on the short list of films I've watched more than once. Of the several priceless bits in the movie, my favorite is probably Sonny & Cher warbling I Got You Babe on the clock radio that awakens Murray's character as he endlessly repeats February 2nd - brilliant song choice. What alternative tune would you pick as a way to aurally depict a nightmare you can't escape? My top nominations would be either one of those treacly ballads Michael Bolton screamed during his brief but painful popularity or the musical torture inflicted on us by I-get-paid-by-the-sixteenth-note Kenny G.

Musical snarkiness aside, which bit from Groundhog Day plays over and over and over in your mind? And, if you were able to repeat a single day from your life which one would you choose?

(Special shoutout to three of my most frequent commenters - IA, RG, SM - for chiming in here last year on this date. I figured their regular contributions year-round entitled them to at least be in on today's joke.)


4 comments:

  1. My alarm clock would wake me playing, "Send in the Clowns" or "Is That All There Is?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch, Stephen Sondheim is now turning in his (still fresh) grave. Does my solo guitar arrangement of this favorite song of mine count as an aural nightmare? Knowing you as I do, I suspect it's more about the mention of clowns (in the lyric) than it is the song, per se. Which would mean my solo guitar arrangement doesn't count, right?

      Delete
  2. Hello Pat. And thanks for the 'shout-out'. It's been a lot of fun reading and commenting on your blog posts. Sorry I missed so many of the early years - and I have gone back and read some from years ago - but I am very glad to be a contributor now. Not wanting to repeat any part of my comments from last Feb 2, I will instead comment on Groundhog Day as a whole. Is it just me or does it seem that there are more and more critters making their forecasts these days? When I was younger there was Punxsutawney Phil. That was it. Then came one from Staten Island, then other parts of NY and then other parts of the country. And they never seem to be in agreement. No wonder since the weather is never the same in every part of the world. To state the obvious (sorry), no matter what they see or don't see, there is always 6 more weeks of winter. But the novelty continues and it is fun to watch. The ceremony in Punxsutawney remains, in my opinion, the best from the few that I've seen.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Anonymous" Bob; You're welcome. And thanks a lot for "..going back to read .." some of my earlier posts; you're a mensch for doing so.

      Delete