About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, July 13, 2022

A More Civil and Inclusive World

beyonddiversity.org

Among the many things I'm grateful for in Act Three of my life is the occasional opportunity I get to work with Beyond Diversity. Although loosely affiliated with this social justice organization for almost thirty years, each time I'm asked to work with them, I feel renewed. I encourage you to check out their website. 

Reading the background materials for my latest assignment recently, my energy surged. Preparing for this work is always a pleasure because doing so fortifies my commitment to the organization's mission at the same time that it deepens my own learning. Every project I've worked on with Beyond Diversity has helped me grow into a more compassionate and humane person.

Those personal benefits are deeply gratifying. Even better is walking away from each project knowing I've contributed - in some small way - to helping make the world a more civil and inclusive place. If something in your life gives you similar satisfaction, please share it here with me and other readers. How could it hurt to share a story like that?


5 comments:

  1. Good morning, Pat. Can't offer too much on this as I wasn't aware of the organization until reading your post. However, from my quick look at their website I can see where your enthusiasm and gratification come from. Your involvement over so many years must be rewarding. I've just signed up to receive their newsletter. Looking forward to reading more about this group. Thanks for making mention of them.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for taking the time to sign up for Beyond Diversity's newsletter. I suspect you'll find it worthwhile.

      Delete
  2. I have had a similar feeling working with Impact 100 Jersey Coast, a group of philanthropic women who combine their dollars make an impact on non-of at 100K. I have served for three years on the committees that review the grant applications, visit the non-profits, evaluate the grants and finally select the finalists. It has been extremely rewarding. Another "side effect" has been to meet women in Monmouth County that I would not otherwise meet, especially younger women who are still working and often also have families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for the comment and for letting me know about your involvement with Impact Jersey Coast. Sounds rewarding, including the "side effect".

      Delete
    2. Sorry for the "typos." I have a cursor/keyboard that has a mind of its own and I am still not clear on how to fix it.

      Delete