About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, July 16, 2022

Life Is an Ellipsis ...

Some books are transformative. Upon finishing A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan soon after its 2010 release, I knew I'd become a different kind of reader. I then waited for over three years before rewinding to read Look at Me (2001) primarily because I feared being disappointed. I was not.

Some authors stand alone. After finishing The Candy House (2022), I'm now convinced Egan has few peers among 21st century novelists. She is an astonishing stylist, razor-sharp observer of contemporary life, and an exceptional storyteller. Best of all, she is brave enough to acknowledge that life is one ellipsis after another. Our choices rarely lead to neat endings; many chapters in The Candy House are not real tidy either. Any demands Egan makes on readers are offset by astute insights, dazzling prose, and provocative ideas.

Some novels resist being summarized. The Candy House is a meditation on authenticity in an age when privacy is in peril. It is a post-modern treatise on the slippery nature of time, identity, and memory told in first and third person, via e-mail and instruction manuals. It rewinds effortlessly to 1969 and fast forwards to 2035 to warn of the collateral damage done to our relationships by inattention and technology. This is more than great literature - it is sorcery.

Reflections From The Bell Curve: Attention: Sports Fans

Reflections From The Bell Curve: Still Playing Forward: Jennifer Egan

 

6 comments:

  1. Good morning, Pat. I would usually respond with 'more to add to my reading list' but that list is quickly becoming the size of a novel itself - lol. However, I will say that 'The Candy House' does sound like a very interesting read. I've always been intrigued with stories (books and/or films) that jump from time to time. Thanks for your summary.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Your continuing support of my blog is sincerely appreciated. Another three comment day! As far as that rapidly expanding list, obviously, I relate there. And I'll apologize for my part in making your quick-to-be-unmanageable list "novel size". As an aside, whenever you finish a book you learned of here, I'd welcome the opportunity to discuss it with you, either on the phone, or maybe over coffee somewhere halfway. Let me know if that interests you.

      Delete
    2. That would be great, Pat. To be honest, with very few exceptions, I’ve not had an opportunity to discuss books that I’ve read … at least not in much detail. I will definitely let you know. Thanks for the offer.
      Be well,
      Bob

      Delete
    3. I am in the same boat as Bob (and you!) but I have added The Candy House to the list. I remember reading Look at Me for the book club!

      Delete
    4. "Anonymous" (who is not so anonymous if my educated guess is right); Yeah, those reading lists can quickly get out of hand, can't they?

      Delete
    5. It is Ines. For some reason my name won't come up as it used to when I make a comment and in this particular case, I forgot to identify myself. But you probably figured it out:)!

      Delete