About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Friday, July 22, 2022

One Day's Battle with the "B" Word

Of the twenty-five definitions for the word balance noted in my dictionary - used as either a noun or verb - several could have served as a starting point here. I welcome your help deciding which of those definitions comes closest to describing the dilemma of today's reflection. To prevent any reader from recommending medication for yours truly, please note: This is not an everyday occurrence.

Set-up: Awake at 6:30 a.m. Morning ablutions and breakfast = 30 minutes. Onset of dilemma: 8:30 a.m.

Outline of dilemma: At 8:30, with approximately fifteen waking hours remaining in day, blogger in search of balance considers the estimated time required for two more at home meals - including prep and cleanup - briefly chastising himself for the ninety minutes already lost. As minutes tick by and no daily disciplines have yet been initiated, dilemma deepens. Which discipline first? Reading*? Guitar? Writing* (If writing, which vessel?) Meditation? Exercise*? Activist work? "*" = More complications ensue since three of the six disciplines have ambitious goal(s) attached. Tick, tick, tick ... 

Balance, blogger intones. Put disciplines aside - think of others. Pay more attention to the impending wedding of your daughter; your ailing sister who would welcome a visit; phone calls or e-mails to family, friends, fellow activists are all as important as any of those disciplines, with or without the goals. But wait a minute: How about the "to do" list, the errands, the stuff needing to be done around the house? Tick, tick, tick ...

Inadequate resolution of dilemma: The search for balance will always be with me. Any assistance you'd care to offer is appreciated. 


4 comments:

  1. Hello Pat. I can't offer any assistance but I can tell you that I at times have the same dilemma. Number 1 - I give myself a break. I worked long crazy hours for many years and in my retirement, I deserve a break. Number 2 - I check in with my body - what it wants to do. Number 3 - I evaluate my priorities. I often do this before I even get up while lying in bed. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ines; Thanks for the comment and commiseration. And, you did "offer assistance" in the form of your three strategies. Thanks for those as well.

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Pat. A dilemma I am sure is shared by almost everyone. What to do, when to do it, how long, in what order ... The list goes on and on. Since my retirement I find it somewhat difficult to keep to a schedule. Working made it easier, although it resulted in less time for the 'me' things that I wanted to do. Initially, I had started exercising more. Being available for my grandsons became a big part of my time. But once school and day camp started it hasn't been as often. I am reading more, took my first attempt at gardening (tomatoes to start), and after hand surgery last year I was able to get back into practicing. Simply saying 'do what makes you happy' seems too easy, although I have a feeling most of what you do brings you happiness. I also, once again, agree with Ines. Slightly different though as it's more what my body can do (lol). But the point is the same. The one constant that I do have, balance or schedule, or whatever you want to call it, is my dog waking me every morning between 5:30 and 6 to be let out and be fed. He knows exactly what he wants. He has that balance.
    Be well,
    Bob



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Glad to hear you are reading more and are getting back into your guitar playing. And, you gave me a chuckle re your dog and his "balance".

      Delete