About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Before ...

The day after tomorrow - Friday July 29 - my cherished daughter is getting married. 

Over the eleven + years I've published this blog - like many of you - my life has had ups and downs. I've tried to avoid oversharing the downs and invited you to celebrate many of the ups. For Friday's milestone - my most significant in over three decades - join me by toasting my daughter and her new husband. 

Among the things I'm most grateful for in my life is the partnership my wife and I have sustained for over forty-four years. I hope any foundation we provided helps our daughter as she begins navigating this new phase in her life. While she was growing up, we tried to model the importance of trust, compromise, and humor for her; I believe those elements were crucial in getting us through our choppy periods. I hope that modeling helps her as well. 

I'm reasonably sure pharmaceuticals will be required Friday to prevent me from dissolving into a puddle. I'll let you know how it went after I recover. Although our daughter was never ours to "give away", it does feel - at least this moment - like a piece of me is headed on a journey that is apart, somehow. I know this unease will pass. My daughter inherited her mother's kindness, her common sense, her good instincts. She and her new husband will thrive using those solid tools. Wish them luck.                   

8 comments:

  1. Good morning, Pat. I hope this finds you all doing well. And being Thursday morning, the day before, I am sure the excitement and nervousness is growing by the minute. So, lets begin with 'Congratulations' and the hearty Toast to your daughter and (soon to be) son-in-law. And also to you and Kim - the proud parents !!! Today's post brings me back to the weddings of both my daughter (8 years now) and my son (4 years now) and how exciting those times/days were. The pharmaceuticals you reference definitely helped, although this proud father was a puddle just the same - albeit slightly less - perhaps. Enjoy this time. Enjoy the day. The dance with your daughter will be something that will be forever etched in your mind and the pictures/videos will bring both smiles and tears as you relive these moments. Congratulations again!! Wishing the newlyweds every happiness !!
    Be well ...
    (Anonymous) Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Anonymous" Bob; Thanks so much for the comment and the well wishes for my daughter and her new husband. We're looking forward to the pictures and videos. And that father/daughter dance? Well, stay tuned.

      Delete
  2. Pat, what a lovely tribute to Alison. And to Kim whose beautiful soul helped create the kind and thoughtful woman your daughter has become. Lots of emotions coming in these next 48 hours! What a wonderful chapter in your already wonderful life. Wishing Alison and Matthew a marriage as long and happy and adventurous as yours and Kim's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Anonymous" aka someone clearly known to me who is fighting - as many others have recently - with some new Google/blogger glitches; Thanks for the comment, the kind words, and the well wishes for the bride and groom.

      Delete
  3. For all the years that I have known you and Kim, I have witnessed the example that you have provided to your daughter as to what a relationship between two people who love and care for each other is and can be. And that no matter what challenges that may arise, you support each other with love and understanding and work together to get through not only the rough times but also to celebrate the high points that occur during a life togeher. And in the end, that is what we, as parents are responsible for, setting the stage and showing our children how to live and support their partner in all the ups and downs that they will experience for the rest of their lives. Take some time to enjoy the moment because this is one of those high points that you will remember forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris; Thanks for the lovely comment and sharing here some of our long history as friends. You are so right about what it means to be a responsible parent, one of the things I'm most proud of in my life, just as you have every right to be.

      Delete
  4. Love you, dad and I always will ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at you a thousand times over, sweetheart.

      Delete