About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, July 10, 2022

Politics V. Walt & Ralph

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself. I am large; I contain multitudes": Walt Whitman

Even with Whitman's wise words in my head, I've struggled my entire adult life trying to strike a reasonable balance between open-mindedness and having strong convictions. Each time I think I've made progress, I test it by putting myself in the shoes of a thinking politician running for office. Imagine: You've established a position on an issue and then you're exposed to information that persuades you to change that position. What to do? How do you explain to voters the shift in your views? Do you quote Whitman to those voters, perhaps? Good luck.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds": Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've relied on Emerson many times. But an inconsistent elected official is a "flip-flopper", pure and simple, never mind the size of the mind. How do you as a voter know what an elected official stands for if that official is not consistent? Considering this dilemma, I'm forced to acknowledge my reflexive disdain for politicians might be a bit intellectually lazy. When was the last time you reversed yourself on something? What was that like for you? How did others react to your shift? How much courage must it take for an elected official to reverse a position even when the reversal is the result of serious thought? Our chances of losing a job, a friend, or much of anything when we contradict ourselves or act inconsistently are minimal. What about that elected official?   

On more than one occasion, I've begun writing my couple of paragraphs here only to recall having said something contradictory in an earlier post. Suppose someone catches me in an inconsistency? I'm safe in my multitudes and my hobgoblins remain at bay. And I'm grateful a life in politics was never in the cards. 

4 comments:

  1. These reflections ring true. It is so much easier for people like you and me (notice the direct object:)) to shift a position when receiving additional information and/or being convinced otherwise. For politicians it is much more difficult. Having said that, I admire an honest and courageous politician (sadly few of those nowadays) who changes his or her mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for the comment, affirmation, and reinforcement of the direct object lesson you've given me at least a dozen times by now.

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Pat. Hope you're all doing well. When it comes to politics I sometimes have a problem seeing any difference between contradiction and cynical. I do believe that there are still some that enter politics wanting to do the 'right thing'. But, considering the wealth of many politicians, I often wonder why would they want to get into this arena. If it isn't for the money then is it the power that comes with elected office.. Either way, contradiction and/or cynicism will usually come into play. Politics usually comes back to what my father (a man who loved politics) always said ... 'A politician has two things in mind. The first is to get elected. And the second is to get re-elected'. As for me, I know I've contradicted myself on many an occasion. Sometimes it's a change of opinion based on new findings. Sometimes due to the situation at hand. Sometimes to simply avoid conflict. I'm sure I've had much more contradictions in my head than I've expressed. I'm going to look at that as a good thing.
    Be well ..
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for the comment. Intriguing point about contradiction vs. cynicism; have to give that more thought. But I love your father's comment; strikes me as spot-on, but maybe I'm succumbing to cynicism?

      Delete