About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, February 23, 2023

Darn Her, Anyway

At times while consuming Lauren Groff's short story collection entitled Florida it was difficult to control my envy of her astonishing writing talent. This 2018 volume is more assured than similar collections by authors almost twice Groff's age. 

Although all eleven tales hum with intelligence and humor, I suspect the five that feature a distracted and conflicted mother of two young boys who is "...exhausting to everyone..." and "...buries all her failures in reading..." are the stories that will remain with me longest. The first four of these are told in the first person, pointing attentive readers toward concluding that Groff - the mother of two young boys - is using herself, mercilessly, as a subject. Only the last of the five - Yport, which closes out the collection and is the longest story in the book - is in third person. In that one, the writer/mother takes her two boys to France while doing research for her next book. She tries easing their uncertainty in the new and strange surroundings by telling them - "I won't let anybody hurt you, she says, and she is either lying or not, it is hard to tell, because this promise is so complicated, the future so dark." 

Reflections From The Bell Curve: 21st Century Couples

The post above was published soon after I finished Groff's 2015 novel Fates and Furies. Six and a half years laterI'm now more convinced that equating her with a young John Updike is apt. Her gift - like Updike's - is a rare one. Darn her, anyway.  

2 comments:

  1. I remember reading Fates and Furies and wanting someone to talk to about it and you were that person! Thanks for your willingness to meet and discuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; You're so welcome. Discussing "Fates & Furies" at Sweet Tease in Belmar was our 1X1 maiden voyage to discuss a book. Like the 1X1 book discussions we've had since that first one ("Cloud Atlas" & "Bewilderment" are two more that come readily to mind), our conversations have been stimulating even when we stray far afield from the book. Part of the fun, right? I'm grateful having you in my life as a reading soulmate. And thanks for your unfailing support of my blog for the past several years.

      Delete