About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, February 11, 2023

#69: The Mt. Rushmore Series

Over its eleven-year lifespan, I've asked readers to join me by making four selections - from a wide array of categories - that they deem worthy of enshrining on an alternative version of Mt. Rushmore. The sixty-eight previous categories I've chosen have varied widely and I would say most of them - unlike today - have been a bit more ... earnest. For example, I've asked for four noteworthy performances or learning experiences; four memorable authors or places visited; four important films or qualities valued in a friend. Today's category belongs more in the spirit of the original inspiration for this series. The post appended at the bottom - published when Mt. Rushmore was under three-years old in June 2015 - provides more detail on the genesis of my oldest extant series for anyone interested. In the meanwhile, are you ready today for some frivolous fun?

Among the many varieties of cheese available today - and surely there are more than the number of presidents we've had so far which makes memorializing just four a comparable task - which varieties belong on your Mt. Rushmore? Mine are alphabetical; list yours however you choose.

1.) Boursin

2.) Brie

3.) Camembert

4.) Mozzarella 

Didn't realize until I began construction that my mountain has a distinct foreign flavor - heavily French, no less - to it. Maybe I need to consider calling it Mt. de Gaulle? Aside: One reader who is sure to wonder why it took me this long to erect a Mt. Rushmore of cheeses is my partner of forty-five years. She has often (and correctly) commented that getting me to eat anything is as simple as putting cheese - of any kind - on top of whatever is put in front of me. What's the harm, I ask? Aren't there much more damaging vices than being a cheeseaholic? How about you? Which four would you have trouble abandoning? 

  Reflections From The Bell Curve: #33: The Mt. Rushmore Series       

9 comments:

  1. I would have to go with the four cheeses that I use most in cooking.
    Chedder
    Swiss
    Parmesan
    Mozzarella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris; Having sampled your cooking more than once, I can understand why you'd enshrine these four. At least we overlap on the mozzarella anyway.

      Delete
  2. Swiss, Blue, Burrata, Cheddar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; With you & Chris both going for swiss & cheddar my monument is looking kind of lonely without them; oh well.

      Delete
  3. Mild Cheddar, Sharp Cheddar, Extra Sharp Cheddar, Extra Extra Sharp Cheddar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim; Loud & clear on the cheddar.

      Delete
    2. Kim, since you like cheddar so much, here is a song for you: https://jessicalaw.bandcamp.com/track/the-national-cheddar-cheese-anthem

      Delete
  4. Good morning, Pat. Ahhhh, a post we can sink our collective teeth into. My list would have to include, in no particular order,
    1. Mozzarella
    2. Parmesan
    3. Swiss
    4. Ricotta (specifically Salaza - sp?)
    As an aside, and as I usually do, when eating anything that requires cheese to be added, whether eating on or going out, Rose and I will always inform the wait staff to bring 'more than enough' cheese to satisfy our needs. We are definitely cheese people.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; With your Mt. Rushmore enshrining Swiss - as with Chris and Ines above - my mountain is feeling less ... holy.

      Delete