About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, February 25, 2023

For a Nickel (or Less)

Isn't it safe to say that all of us have felt stuck from time to time? Whether we describe being stuck as apathy, a dead-end, lethargy, or some other way, I suspect most of us would agree that being stuck - at least a few times in life - goes with being human.

For today's reflection, imagine an antidote of your making could assist others in getting "unstuck". Think of your antidote as a foolproof prescription for assuaging apathy, dead-endedness, lethargy, and the like. Caveat: I'm not equating being stuck with clinical depression or asking any reader to pretend they are an educated professional treating it. Imagine instead you are Lucy in the Peanuts comic strip with a booth set up on your sidewalk. Now if anyone wants to send me the nickel Lucy would have charged, I'm OK with that, but my RX is offered free of charge and I'm going first only because I've been at this blogging thing for quite a while.  

* Sit somewhere with the sun on your face.

* Look for something purple in nature.

* Listen to the birds, trying to differentiate between the songs each one sings. 

p.s. This post was directly inspired by a prompt recently given to my writers group by our capable and kind moderator.    


6 comments:

  1. Watch a sunrise or sunset (preferably over water)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a walk without headphones. Just look and listen to what is around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; Nice; I especially like the "no headphones" piece.

      Delete
  3. Hello Pat. For me, it's fairly simple - Getting off of the train in NYC, walking through Penn Station and up the stairs to 34th and 7th and taking in that deep breath !!! No feeling like it and taking all that the City has to offer. Also, being down the shore. Standing at the waters edge looking from right to left and seeing the curve of the horizon, listening to the sounds of the waves breaking, the gulls singing .... So relaxing.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; I'd venture to say that part 1 of your RX (the NYC piece) would not be something many people would prescribe but I can understand how it works for you because the energy of NYC is clearly a terrific way to dislodge lethargy. As for part 2 (the shore, the ocean, etc.), see the first comment above. I'd guess that one would work for a significant number of people.

      Delete