About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, March 23, 2023

My Small "d" Dilemma

I've got a small "d" dilemma. Maybe one of you can offer some help? 

Although about 20% of my 2200+ posts have been about books and reading, it's always been my goal to reflect on a wide array of subjects aside from my passion for literature, mostly because I know there are folks who don't share that passion. Unfortunately, even though I skip any mention here of the ones that don't set me on fire, at present I've got a backlog of over a dozen books I'm anxious to gush over, going back to late in 2022 when I gobbled David Foster Wallace's remarkable book of essays entitled Both Flesh and Not (2012). What to do?

Spreading them out over the next few months won't solve my dilemma because more worthy books will surely come along in the meanwhile; I'll be right back where I started. Maybe list them all in a single post to "catch up"? Not fair to the authors. Start a new blog devoted to just books? My plate is already too full. Ask a reading soulmate to write a guest post here after they read one of the dozen+? Any takers on that one? But wait. What happens if my guest blogger is not as knocked out by a book as I was which, in turn, makes their gushing muted? Can't have that. 

Unless one of you offers me some sage advice, it could be my near-future book ratio might have to exceed 20% of my posts for a month or more. If I end up settling on that as a strategy, apologies in advance to any readers not particularly passionate about literature. I will return to that ratio as soon as possible. There is one other small impending wrinkle in this dilemma, however. In early April, I'm headed to the five National Parks in Utah. If experience is any predictor, a fair number of books will accompany me and be finished over those two weeks away. I guess those not sharing my passion for literature can hope many of the books I take will be duds I won't want to gush over. But, if more big winners begin accruing while I'm away, my small "d" dilemma could get stickier. Caveat emptor.       


8 comments:

  1. 2200 posts? Wow! I'm amazed by you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; Amazed, huh? I can live with that.

      Delete
  2. I would be interested in a ranking of your favorite books as of late, all in one post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison; Thanks for the suggestion. I'm more inclined to give you that ranked list offline; strikes me as more respectful to the authors. As of this moment, I'm leaning toward Ines's suggestion directly below, unless another reader comes up with something even more palatable.

      Delete
  3. How about something in-between one post and 12+ posts? List 4 books at a time with one paragraph about each in a single post. That would work for me as a reader of your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Great idea! Given you are among the most faithful patrons of my blog, I'm inclined to do as you suggest. Think I'll first wait for a week or so and see what other readers might come up with. Stay tuned. And thanks for putting some thought into my dilemma.

      Delete
  4. Good afternoon, Pat. I can easily see from your posts how much of a reader you are. And although I see how it can be something of a dilemma, it has also provided me, and I assume others, with some wonderful book suggestions. Some of which I have read. Most are still waiting on the list. The 'good intention' list. And I second both of the suggestions from Alison and Ines.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; So pleased to know many of the books I've gushed about here since you began reading my blog have ended up on your "good intention" list. Be sure to let me know your reaction to anything I recommend for those you do finish. I recall being pleased you enjoyed "The Candy House" by Jennifer Egan last year.

      Delete