About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Class Dismissed

"...is in a class all of his own..."

Normally, when one sees or hears the phrase above used to describe someone, what follows is lavish praise for that person's skills, occupation or field notwithstanding.

On the other hand, couldn't that phrase be easily used as insult masquerading as praise? That was my first thought when I recently saw it - lifted from a review and out of context - referring to an author's new book. My own experience with this author has never challenged the widely held view that his work rarely rises above the formulaic. If anything, each desultory experience I've had trying to read him has reinforced my initial impression that what he creates - with or without a co-writer with high marquee appeal - is a commodity far removed from literature. His product serves a purpose, he is rich and massively popular, he'll get a big obit in the NY Times. 

Still, snarky as it is, seeing that author name attached to that phrase I wondered if the reviewer was having a little fun. Which class was he or she talking about?  

2 comments:

  1. Hey Pat. Not sure I can recall anytime that phrase has been used for an author, although, and based on your post today, I know it has been used before. And, more often than deserved I would think. I have heard that used in connection to performing artists though - of all sorts. Meryl Streep, Viola Davis, Henry Fonda, Katherine Hepburn, Humphrey Bogart, Spencer Tracy, Tom Hanks, Jimmy Stewart ... The list goes on and on. And for musicians - Eric Clapton, Paul Simon, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Beethoven, Mozart, Rachmaninov, Miles Davis, John Colton, Grover Washington Jr., Duke Ellington ... Another list that can go on and on ...
    But, as they are all great artists in their own right, saying that someone 'is in a class all their own' becomes very subjective, doesn't it?
    Hope you're all doing well,
    Bob


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob; OK, with four new comments from you to respond to this a.m., you have officially broken the previous record for most comments made by one reader in a single sitting. I'm afraid that expression "...in a class all his/her own..." has become as over-used as the oft-heard "genius" another example of how an over-used cliche can turn words of "praise" into meaningless mush.

      Delete