About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Our Free Press

Watching The Untouchable late last year made me soul sick. When that documentary ended, I felt sure I needed to know nothing further about the venal Harvey Weinstein.  Consequently, when my daughter gave me Catch and Kill as a Christmas gift, I wasn't looking forward to reading it. I knew Ronan Farrow had won the Pulitzer for his reporting and admired the role he'd played in helping end Weinstein's ignominious rein as the king of Hollywood. But I almost let his book languish.

Although I quickly overcame my resistance, several weeks have passed and I'm still trying to process this scrupulously researched and painful book. Each time I think I've reached the end of my outrage about the damage the rich and powerful routinely inflict, another searing detail returns to me. Of the many sickening things I learned from Farrow's book, the detailed descriptions of the army of people paid to protect, lie for, and hide the hideous misdeeds of reprobates like Weinstein just won't leave me alone. How do people like this justify the obfuscation, spin, and outright lies that earn them their living? Do any of the paid minions ever pause to consider the lives they've helped shatter by enabling their employers and then assisting those employers to escape justice? Shame on every one of them. 

Still, as demoralizing as it can be to read a cautionary tale like Catch and Kill, perhaps my most enduring takeaway is gratitude for our free press and their role in exposing evil and holding the perpetrators accountable. Thank you, Ronan.  

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this recommendation; like you, I wasn't looking forward to reading this but am so glad I did. I agree with your comments, with one caveat: Ronan Farrow is also the rich and powerful. It's one of the reasons why his story is so compelling; his narrative is a veritable who's who's of Hollywood and NY media. What I loved about this book is that Farrow chooses to use his influence (as did The New Yorker staff) to stand up for the gross misuse of power characterized by predators like Weinstein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan; Obviously, you're welcome. I know you'll appreciate when I say what a thrill I get when a book I recommend to someone lands with them as Farrow's book did with you. And point/caveat well taken about Farrow himself being one of the rich, although maybe not quite as powerful as a cretin like Weinstein, Epstein, or the former tweeter-in-chief. reserving my biggest thanks for your comment. I've now gotten two on my blog from you just in this year alone. I hit the jackpot!

      Delete
  2. I started this book about a week ago and am about half way through reading it. I am having similar experiences and sentiments. I had some difficulty at first possibly due to the fact that I had a long pause as I was traveling but now I am getting into the rhythm and keeping the cast of characters straight (mostly:)).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for comment. Glad you are in the swing. There are a LOT of players to keep track of but in the end, I'm reasonably sure you'll agree it was worth your effort.

      Delete
  3. Hey Pat. I received this book as a gift and, as of this writing, have not yet started it. Based on the comments you've received, I am, cautiously, looking forward to reading it. The one thing I would add, again before reading the book, is that I am very glad to see that some people are not always able to use their wealth or fame, or both, to continue to place them above all else and ride off without any action being taken against them.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob (the hat trick): Thanks for the comment. Even if reading this book is not a pleasant experience, it is worth your time. And I couldn't agree more with your sentiment about predators like Weinstein who get what they deserve. I'm not at all unhappy picturing him and his rotting teeth in a little cell given the irreparable damage he did to so many women.

      Delete