About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, March 26, 2023

Installment #1: How Can I Help?

There's little doubt that being more tuned in contributed to how many opportunities appeared before me over this past month to help others. Kind of makes me wish I'd made my February 27 pledge a bit sooner. My wistful wishing aside, did any of you join me after I published the post directly below? If yes, I suspect the people who read my blog regularly would welcome hearing your most recent story. I know I would.    

https://reflectionsfromthebellcurve.blogspot.com/2023/02/how-can-i-help.html

My most notable experience came while assisting an old friend working with a group of teenagers over the past four Sunday afternoons. The mission of these teenagers - an Interfaith group ranging from 8th to 12th grade across four counties in northern NJ - is advancing an anti-racist message to those open to listening. And though I was pleased to be asked to help, impressed by the work these young people have already done, and humbled by their commitment and willingness to learn from our presentations, the most rewarding part came when an opportunity arose for me to help one troubled young man during a break in our second session.

What did I do to help? I listened carefully as he spoke to me of his struggles in a world that has frequently let him down and treated him as inferior. How do I know I helped? Although I can't be certain I did, his armor visibly softened the more he shared. When I finally spoke, he listened and made direct eye contact with me. By the time our one-on-one interaction finished, I detected a lessening of some of the anger he'd brought into the room in week one when we all introduced ourselves. Mostly, I was honored by his trust.  

Would I have handled this situation differently had I not made my February 27 pledge? Again, no way to know for sure. But the pledge clearly made me more mindful about helping others throughout this past month. One thing is for sure: Remaining in this space will mean other opportunities are certain to come my way. Please save your next story for me and stay tuned for installment #2.    

No comments:

Post a Comment