About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Friday, March 17, 2023

This Patrick and Today

Patrick is a name that is easy to be neutral about, wouldn't you say? Easy to spell and pronounce, not all that many famous or infamous people - aside from today's saint, of course - that are easily conjured in people's minds, and most conveniently, it has the right number of syllables for that birthday tune. No need to elongate a one syllable name, e.g. Lee, to match the two notes in that melody or to scrunch a three-syllable name like Roberta into that same space. But even Roberta gives you the option of leaving out the "dear" that precedes the name to make that melody work. Don't get me started on fitting Anastasia, Bartholomew, or Victoria into that tune. But I digress. Back to today's saint, i.e., my namesake.

How fond are you of your name? I'm neither overly attached to nor detached from Patrick as such. I guess it's kind of neat that a holiday is connected to my moniker - especially one with lots of drinking involved - even if I've never marched in a parade. But today, I noticed my namesake's holiday only when I had cause for consulting the low-tech calendar hanging in our closet. If not for that, the day could've easily passed by unremarked as it has many times in the past. 

The whole green thing? I've forgotten about that tradition as often as I've remembered. I suspect my neutral posture toward my name and lackadaisical attitude about my ethnic heritage is related to how far back on my father's side I have to travel to connect to Irish ancestors who settled here. That part of my family history is so distant that calling myself anything except an American - or hyphenating my ethnicity - just seems silly. 

Still, this Patrick salutes the many other Patricks out there celebrating their holiday. I respect your fondness for or pride in your name. I'm pleased if you feel significantly connected to your Irish heritage. I hope you enjoyed marching in or watching the parade. I'm content with having a two-syllable name that fits well in the birthday song.      

2 comments:

  1. Good afternoon, Pat and 'Happy Namesake Day'. Although I am not Irish, I've always found it to be quite a fun day simply observing the many different activities that surround St. Patrick's Day. For some reason, and maybe I'm wrong, but aside from the 'more popular holidays' - ie: Christmas, New Years Day, Valentines Day, etc - it doesn't seem that other holidays are as celebrated as St. Patrick's Day.
    As for my name, well, aside from being very used to it after 66+ years, I guess there is a certain amount of fondness for it. For one, 'Bob' is easy to remember and rarely is it ever mispronounced. And, it's also a Palindrome, so there's that. However, my fondness goes a little further when it comes to my 'Proper' name - Robert. It's been told to me over the years that my father wanted to name me Robert because, along with my middle name, would make for a great name for a stand-up comic - 'Ladies and gentlemen, the comic stylings of ...'Robert Russell'. LOL. Well, aside from the outgoing personality, that never was the result. Although I did and up very involved with Theater through HS, College and after. But the route taken for that involvement is a story for different time.
    Be well, Patrick
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for the comment and for the clever sign-off. I appreciate how you have reminded me of your passion for the theater in many of your comments over the past few years. And, you're right about that name of yours being easy to spell (like mine) and pronounce (ditto). The added benefit of your moniker being a palindrome would put you ahead of me in the name sweepstake except for one important detail = I've got a holiday and you do not. Ha! Game-set-match goes to Pat. (As an anagram = Apt to you or ... as an reverse name - if not palindrome = Tap.) See what you've unleashed with your comment?

      Delete