About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Coming Soon: Dispatches from Africa

Much as I've thought about it, I still can't say why visiting Africa has always appealed to me. Is there a place you've always longed to visit for no readily identifiable reason? 

If my wife and I hadn't discovered Road Scholar in 2015, the trip that we begin tomorrow might not have materialized. But my long-deferred desire to visit Africa was facilitated because of Road Scholar's enticing catalogues - BTW, we get way too many of those - and our uniformly positive experiences traveling elsewhere with them. And this trip promises to be even richer because two of our friends are joining us on the adventure.

The Road Scholar itinerary tells me there will be some long gaps in Wi-Fi service. The bell curve remains open, regardless. My plan is to reflect - and share pics - from each of the four countries we'll be visiting, where possible; stay tuned. Finally, in case anyone wondered, I got the recommended vaccinations, will be drinking mostly bottled beer - such a hardship - and plan to stay a safe distance from wildlife. All this means I should be back in full-time business sometime around February 26, jetlag dependent.     

11 comments:

  1. So country dropping ain't so bad after all? Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not-so-anonymous; Given my snarky remark obviously landed badly with you, it may be time for me to clarify what I meant when I coined the term "country" (or continent) dropping several years ago. But not here.

      Delete
  2. *Country/continent dropping

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun you two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful time. Road Scholar is awesome but yes too many catalogues. Even with recycling....An Africa Safari was on my bucket list and we were to go on safari and elsewhere in 2001. That trip had to be cancelled due to you know what happening. We made it with another couple in 2011. Probably my favorite trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; We're already in the swing of things. Thanks for the well wishes and comment.

      Delete
  5. Well-- enjoy this trip of a lifetime Pat! You will have lots to write about. Looking forward to hearing about this latest adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regina; Thanks for the well wishes. We're already in the swing and looking forward to the next two weeks.

      Delete
  6. Hey Pat .. As I wrote on your FB post, I was looking forward to seeing the pictures from this once in a lifetime trip. And, as I thought, you have exceed those expectations. Doubtful I'll ever see that wonderful continent so I will have to live vicariously through your, and Kims, journeys. Be well and enjoy !!
    Bob

    ReplyDelete