About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, February 26, 2024

Re-Entry

"We may never pass this way again."

Although it's possible I'll get back to the continent of Africa in my remaining years, it's unlikely, especially given the number of other places I'd like to visit at least once. No matter; the last two + weeks exceeded my expectations in nearly every way. 

The food, the sights, and the companionship of our traveling companions were first rate. The history and context we got from our leader - a polymath and scofflaw in equal measure - the knowledge and expertise of our other guides, particularly the extraordinary lecture we had on David Livingstone, and the background information provided on each of the four countries we visited helped make everything we subsequently saw more meaningful. And being fully immersed in an unspoiled environment where birds and wildlife flourish was spiritually nourishing. 

Our last experience, an unplanned stop at the Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg on our final day - after we'd said goodbye to our Road Scholar group - was a fitting and moving coda to this exceptional trip. As re-entry begins, I desperately want to retain the buzz I'm feeling right now. Perhaps the twenty-nine pages I captured in my journal will assist me in doing so. I hope pictures my wife took - like the one directly below - will also help. Please share with me any technique that has helped you prolong a transcendent experience. I'll try anything to keep my African adventure fresh in my mind.


    

4 comments:

  1. Welcome home! I don't have any techniques to prolong an experience but I can easily keep it fresh in my mind. We went to Africa in 2011 and still recall our experiences easily and with pleasure! (And like you, I am not sure I will be able to go again in the time remaining..... All the more reason to treasure those memories!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for the comment. Though I will indeed always cherish the memories we made in Africa, I must admit it's really good to be home.

      Delete
  2. Hello Pat. Welcome Back !! All I can say about this post, and all of the others from your trip, is that I can't wait to read what those pages in your journal wind up becoming. Thanks for all of the posts and pictures.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for the comment and the welcome back. As far as how those journal pages morph into something else, stay tuned for that. I'm rarely sure how the flotsam and jetsam from all my writing will be reflected in some creative endeavor.

      Delete