About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, June 17, 2024

Words for the Ages: Line Thirty-One

"Love shows that God has a sense of humor."

Since the advent of the written word, writers of every variety have tried to define love. Which of those definitions have come closest for you? 

Though more a comment than a definition, the words that open this post - from a Joe Jackson song entitled Stranger Than Fiction - nail an essential and enduring truth about love. Although Jackson's lyrics are an acquired taste, I believe this terse nugget snugly fits the criteria for words for the ages: it has the ring of lasting truth, is brief enough to be easily recalled, and stands alone. And the lyric that sets up this gem has the sardonic edge Jackson is known for: "And when love grows, it's like a flower or a tumor."

Got another Joe Jackson lyric you'd nominate as words for the ages? Or, getting back to love, how about a lyric by a different composer you think comes close to capturing that hard-to-define word? 


2 comments:

  1. Well that is interesting to be sure, but it doesn't grab me. I don't have any lyrics or quotes about love to help out. I do have an interesting quote from Albert Einstein about God that I like better: "Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for the comment. Love the Einstein quote about God. Who knows? May find a way to use it in a future blog post.

      Delete