About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, June 6, 2024

My Day & My Dad's Day, Eighty Years Apart

A little while ago, after getting out of my comfortable bed and putting on some clean, dry clothes, I brushed my teeth. I then had a simple breakfast - juice, toast, hot coffee. I'm now looking forward to enjoying my day. 

I don't know what my Father climbed out of on the morning of June 6, 1944 but I'm guessing it wasn't real comfortable. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he skipped brushing his teeth that morning. If his clothes were clean or dry when he put them on, they didn't stay that way for long. Breakfast? K-rations, perhaps. Juice or coffee? Unlikely.

Though I can't imagine what the rest of my dad's day was like on Normandy Beach eighty years ago, I'm quite certain he wasn't looking forward to it. I will never experience anything even remotely like what he did that day. Writing this to honor what he lived through is not enough. But it's the best I've got to offer this moment. And I owe him - and all the others who were on that beach that day - at least that much. 

4 comments:

  1. We owe all of the participants in D-day deep gratitude! What a nice tribute to your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Your frequent comments and unwavering support of my blog for several years means a lot to me. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Wow Pat. I had no idea you were that closely connected to one of history’s most critical events. All respect to your Father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regina; Thanks for the comment. My Dad was my hero.

      Delete