About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, June 16, 2024

Grandpa Hits the Jackpot

I've had a life filled with sustained pleasures - satisfying work, enduring passions, rich and long-lasting friendships. In the father's sweepstakes? I hit the jackpot.

Except for a temper that sometimes gets the better of me, nearly every other lesson my dad taught me through example has helped me successfully navigate my fortunate life. He modeled the importance of loyalty, hard work, and lifelong learning. If he ever wavered in showing me unconditional love, I don't remember it. 

As a father, I've been equally fortunate. My daughter is the most emotionally intelligent person I know. She is talented, compassionate, and funny. I also see in her all the same good stuff my father passed along to me. I'm certain my dad would have been just as proud of what she's accomplished in her life as I am. I'm grateful he was around for her first eight years.   

Later this year, I'll be a grandfather myself for the first time. Without exception, every grandparent I've ever met has raved about this later-in-life experience. And I hope to have more time with my grandson than my dad did with my daughter. But one thing is certain, no matter how much time I end up having with him. He'll know Grandpa hit the jackpot three times.  

9 comments:

  1. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Pat. There is a saying I love, which I find to be eminently true: "Being a grandparent is the only thing in life that isn't overrated."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; I've heard that expression before and I expect it's likely true. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  3. Big congratulations to everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so exciting! Congratulations. I am a "young" grandmother and have enjoyed every moment of it. I love the saying above. It is so true. Within the next several years I hope to be a great-grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for the comment and congratulations.

      Delete