About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, June 1, 2024

I've Got Your Number (#4)

Ready for the latest challenge in this series? 

Start by identifying the twentieth century year linked with the four phrases below, each extracted from a well-known piece of popular culture. The four are listed chronologically:

1.) Oh what a night
2.) He loved Big Brother
3.) No one ever left alive
4.) Tonight I'm going to party

Next, answer the three questions below related to the number of years separating #1 from #2, #2 from #3, and #3 from #4. 

What popular game - also referred to by a rhyming word - matches the number of years between #1 and #2?

What do the songwriters Marvin Hamlisch and Harry Nillson have in common with the number of years separating #2 and #3? 

Append "92" to the number of years separating #3 and #4. What historical significance is attached to this date? 

Bonus question for the truly geeky among you: Which well-known Frank Sinatra song did I initially consider as an alternate title for the 4th iteration in this nerdy series?

10 comments:

  1. Pat, I don't know what goes through your mind but here are my answers:

    1. 1963
    2. 1984
    3. 1985
    4. 1999

    Question 1: 21 - Blackjack
    Question 2: 1 - Both Marvin Hamlish and Harry Nillson had #1 hits on the Billboard charts.
    Question 3: 1492 - The year Columbus "discovered" America.

    For the Bonus question, you have me stumped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris; For someone who says you don't know what goes through my mind, our Spock mind-meld thing is pretty creepy. In any case, you got the 4 years correct as well as question #1 and #3. And though it's true that both Marvin Hamlisch ("the Way We Were", via Babs) and Harry Nillson ("Without You", which he did not write) had #1 hits on the Billboard charts, the more relevant significance of the number one for both is that each of those songwriters composed a popular song entitled "One". Hamlisch's was featured in " A Chorus Line" and Nillson's was a hit for 3 Dog Night. As far as the bonus question, "It Was a Very Good Year" was the direction my music-addled brain went as I was writing this silly post. In any case, congrats (?) on being first out of the gate and your almost perfect score. You are the shit.

      Delete
  2. Quarter to Three

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Make It One for My Baby

      Delete
    2. Anonymous; Yeah, "Quarter to Three" was Gary U.S. Bonds so "One For My Baby" is a better guess. But the bonus song was "It Was A Very Good Year." Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
    3. For the bonus question, the song "It was a very good year" does not contain a lyric with a twentieth century year. It only contains 17, 21 and 35. Would that also mean that the last question would have been different? I guessed I was stumped because I was trying to think of a Sinatra song that contained a year.

      Delete
    4. Chris; I'd only planned to use the Sinatra song as an alternate title (i.e., in place of "I've Got Your Number") for the post itself NOT as one of the items that included a 20th year. But your logic for why you couldn't come up with a Sinatra song as the answer to my nerdy bonus question makes sense. Of course, "making sense" is beside the point of these silly posts. I'm glad you enjoy these romps through my addled brain. It's fun having you along for the ride.

      Delete
  3. Answer to the last question: Something Stupid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim; I'm assuming your Sinatra guess is a not-so-sly reference to the banality of this post. If so, you get points for cleverness and demerits for sarcasm. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These posts may be stupid and corny but I love them.

      Delete