About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, March 2, 2024

A Reading Posse That Delivers

Throughout your reading life, who has had a major impact on the books you subsequently chose to read?

I've been quite fortunate over my entire reading life. Early on, both my sisters infected me with their passion for reading. Next was my wife; our shared love of literature has been a glue binding us for almost forty-six years. Then, as she grew into an adult and discerning reader, my oldest niece became the newest member of my reading posse as the century neared its end. I would guess more than a third of the novels I've read over my adult life were recommended to me by one of these four women.

I met the fifth member of my posse in 2010, soon after leaving the full-time work world. She selected the books and moderated the meetings for the first book club I ever joined. Five years later the two of us began meeting every month for a 1x1 book discussion. (February selection: Renata Adler's Speedboat, discussed on Rovos Rail as we journeyed from Pretoria, South Africa into Zimbabwe.) Because I began using a book journal in 2010 and have recorded ever since who or what directed me to a particular book, I know for sure that she has pointed me toward almost 25% of the novels or authors I've read since meeting her. How's that for a major impact? 

Of the excellent novelists introduced to me by this newest member of my reading posse, Louise Erdrich is near the top of the heap. Her evocative prose, superb storytelling skills, and memorable characters have helped me better understand the importance of bearing witness to Native American history. After finishing Four Souls (2004) - the fourth Erdrich novel I've devoured since 2010 - I realized anew how lucky I am to have a reading posse that consistently delivers. Who do you rely on like this?   

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ines; That is the single nicest compliment I've received in recent memory. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Pat. Along with Ines, I have to give you credit for your wonderful suggestions. Some of which are anxiously waiting to be read. And, as I have made mention a number of times in my comments, I also have my sister to thank for so many book suggestions. An avid reader, and like you, she has made suggestions of books that I would have never otherwise become aware of. Thanks to you both
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks so much for this comment and the lovely feedback about my book recommendations. And let me renew an offer I've made before. Whenever you get around to reading something you've learned of via my blog (or one of my courses), I'd welcome the opportunity to discuss that book with you, over coffee, on the phone, or via whatever means we can figure out. Extending the glow that a good book delivers is always a priority for me.

      Delete