About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, March 30, 2024

Dangling Conversations with Music Lovers

What a gift it has been teaching serious music lovers these past ten years. 

A few months back I received an e-mail from one of these music lovers. She wrote me upon learning of the impending release of a two-part documentary series about Paul Simon. If you love his music - as I do almost without reservation - I strongly recommend In Endless Dreams. Though it's possible I might otherwise have learned about the series, I'm still grateful this music lover thought to contact me, especially with The Dangling Conversation - my own six-hour course about Simon - scheduled for a late April reprise at a local college. I can now add material learned from the series, including rich insights director Alex Gibney coaxed out of the modern-day master as he described his process while creating Seven Psalms (2023). Had this music lover not contacted me, much of this fresh anecdotal material about Simon's most recent recording might not have made it into my reprise. 

Developing and delivering these music classes since 2014 has been energizing and rewarding. And the frequent offline interactions and conversations I've had with music lovers have significantly enhanced that reward. Excuse me now as I track down a recent interview Stephen Colbert did with Paul Simon. Want to guess how I came to hear about that?    


2 comments:

  1. Hello, Pat. You're the second person who has recommended this documentary to me. Although being a fan of Mr. Simon it didn't take too much of a recommendation to get me very interested. I've not yet had the time to watch it but definitely plan to do so very soon. Looking forward to your class as I am sure your usual enthusiasm will be exponentially increased by your love of the this particular artist.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for the comment and telling me you're looking forward to my upcoming class. You're going to enjoy the Paul Simon series, I promise.

      Delete