About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, March 23, 2024

Reviving Our Moribund Mission

Another gratifying by-product of our recent trip to Africa was the opportunity we had to sample the cuisine of several countries that we hadn't yet experienced in our Eat the World mission. That mission began thirteen years ago when I published the post directly below. 

Reflections From The Bell Curve: World Traveling Via Food (To Be Continued)

With the eight new nations added to our list in February - six of which were added visiting one restaurant in Cape Town - we hit a significant milestone: Since March 2011 we've now sampled the cuisine of 102 nations. And for two of those eight - Botswana and Zimbabwe - we ate at local restaurants in the actual countries (South Africa and Namibia were already on our list before the trip), which clearly enhanced the authenticity of the eating experiences. My personal favorites were the Malawi sweet potato cakes and the Zimbabwe amasi herb dip. What was your most recent unique eating experience?

I'm pumped our African adventure helped revived our moribund mission. With about ninety countries left to try, I'm feeling renewed confidence that we might eventually reach our goal. Please let me know if you're aware of a local restaurant serving an off-the-curve cuisine. One helpful hint: Forget North, Central, and South America; we've covered almost all that culinary territory. Best bets for stuff we haven't tried would be obscure, smaller Asian nations, or some landlocked African countries. Next in the queue is a Nepalese restaurant in NYC I've had my eye on for quite a while. What a blast.    

No comments:

Post a Comment