About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, March 25, 2024

Another Tribute to My Hero

I've often wondered what my Dad would have had to say about my blog. Although not an overly private man, he also wasn't temperamentally inclined to be public about many things. That fact alone makes me uncertain how he would have reacted to some of the more personal stuff that I've reflected on here.

On the other hand, from the start, Dad was unreservedly supportive of my interest in becoming a musician. He couldn't provide much financial help but he was often the one who volunteered to drive my high-school band to gigs. And he and my Mom allowed that band to rehearse in the "dining room", a tiny space in our railroad flat on the second floor of a house we shared with Mom's brother and his family on the ground floor and her mother on the third. To this day, I marvel at the tolerance it must have taken for my parents to listen to five out-of-tune teenagers - at close range - loudly playing songs neither one of them probably liked, over and over. Did I mention I learned how to play drums - practicing incessantly - in that same flat?   

I wonder what Dad would have thought about me sharing this family story. Aside from today, his birthday, I've recalled him many times here - on Veteran's Day, D-Day, etc. Sometimes a memory is dislodged, another instance of his unwavering love, and I feel compelled to write about him, my hero in every meaningful way. If he were still with me, perhaps he might have tried to talk me out of this and all my other public tributes to him. I suspect I wouldn't have listened. 

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pat. Interesting that I'm taking today, April 2, to catch up and provide my comments on your Blog posts as I lost my Dad 25 years ago today. Still so difficult to believe it's been so long and each years makes it that much more difficult. While we didn't always see eye to eye - who does - my dad was a very good man, very funny and one who cared more for his family than I think we all realized at the time. One story that has always stood out to me was when my parents were looking to sell their house - the house most of us grew up in after relocating to NJ from NY - he looked into how ,much to would cost to renovate and add rooms so that each of us - my sizer, brothers and me - could all move back and be together. While I know he knew the impossibility of this he did take time to look and had conversations with each of us about it. I can easily see us sitting and having this discussion. So many things that I miss. Thank you for offering the wonderful tribute to your father. It was great to read and got me thinking more about my dad.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for the personal story about your Dad and his commitment to your family. Aren't we both lucky to have been raised by such solid men? And what a coincidence that you happened to read this March 25 post on April 2. The universe works in mysterious ways, no?

      Delete