About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Keeping It Ad Hoc

I'm happy with my decision to stay out of the book club my wife started a few years ago. The seeds of that decision were likely planted not long after the only ballroom dancing class we unwisely tried to take many years ago.

However, my ad hoc membership still brings with it several significant benefits:
 * Because most of the meetings are in our home, I get to regularly see three women friends who are in the club. And they all bring great eats!
 * Because the club reads only current non-fiction, I don't struggle as much making my next non-fiction choice as I did before the club began.
 * When I get around to reading one of their books (most recently - "The Great Work Of Your Life" (2012) by Stephen Cope), my wife and I can then rationally discuss it at our leisure; no dance steps required.

There is one disadvantage - I'd love to hear the discussions about the terrific books selected, especially since my wife and three friends are all so smart. But my participation in this book club will remain ad hoc. In this instance, marital harmony trumps intellectual stimulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment