About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Captain Crunch, Anyone?

As the prelude to our presidential election farce begins its march into the laughable territory of the ludicrous nominating process, including debates that aren't debates, I welcome answers from either side of the aisle. How is it we can all choose from well over fifty different varieties of cereal but there are only two viable political parties at our disposal?

I'm aware of the fact that we often have more than two choices when entering the ballot box. However, when was the last time someone other than a Democrat or a Republican was elected to any significant public office higher than dogcatcher? Put another way, when did anyone last see a color aside from red or blue on any TV map? Try imagining the mayhem that would ensue if just Rice Krispies and Cherrios were on grocery shelves. The consuming public would revolt! What about the voting public?

Who we choose to represent us in Government might be the most critical choice we make as citizens. But instead of several options, we're essentially stuck with an odious either/or when electing a President, a Senator, a Freeholder, for crying out loud. How can something so important be relegated to such an antiquated bi-polar construct?

I've been chastised more than once for "wasting" my vote in the past on someone with no chance of winning - that would be someone not a donkey or an elephant. I plead guilty by reason of sanity. In my further defense I submit the following: Red & blue are not alone on the spectrum; that ark had more than donkeys & elephants on it; Captain Crunch is still available at a store near you.

3 comments:

  1. Amen to that. You are on the right track. I have said for years that we need at least ONE more party in this country. Look at all of the other democracies in the world. We are becoming the laughing stock of the world not only for the inanity being displayed by many politicians but because there is so little choice, not to mention SUBSTANCE being offered by our politicians. A sad state of affairs. If you or any of your readers has solutions, I am all ears. A new movement needs to be started......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for your comment and continuing to take a peek at my blog now and then. I'm glad this post resonated with you. I'm SO tired of the limited choices offered by the red AND the blue. I find it difficult to believe the best we can do is recycle two families - very discouraging.

      Delete
  2. The question is: can WE do anything about it?

    ReplyDelete