Since March 2011, I'd estimate I've asked more than a thousand questions here. Here are a few of the most common reasons people have told me - mostly offline - why the overwhelming majority of my questions have gone unanswered:
* "I don't want to sound ..." (fill in the blank with an adjective of your choice, although most people are not kind to themselves.)
* "Your questions are too hard OR ... too weighty OR ... too personal."
* "I prefer to lurk on your blog and remain anonymous." (OK, that reason isn't really "common" but it is something more than one person has said and also a little creepy so I included it here.)
Today's reflection - in the form of the three questions below - is squarely aimed at eliciting comments or responses from any reader that has used some variation on reason #1 or #2 above. Ready reticent readers?
* How long do you typically wait before discarding that sock that doesn't have a match?
* What is your record for longest retained jar of mustard in your refrigerator?
* Approximately how many pens and pencils would you guess are in your residence at present?
Except for those creepy lurkers, I expect to be inundated with answers to this reflection.