About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Too Much Vs. Not Enough

"What's become clearer to you since we last met?"

A few months ago I asked an old friend I hadn't seen in a while this question, one I'd read Emerson would ask people frequently. My friend said something like "I'm surrounded by too much 'stuff ' and not enough interaction with others". Though not his exact words, it's a fair representation; anyway, the gist of what he said landed with me. Ever since, I've been reflecting on this "too much vs. not enough" model.

What do you have too much of in your life vs. not enough? I share my friend's view, but more than that I feel like I have too much information about people who mean nothing to me, especially celebrities, and not enough live music in my life. Though one of my long standing goals has been to steadily wean myself from the celebrity diet, I've only been marginally successful. Any ideas you have to help me with this are welcome.

But the gift my friend gave to me in our conversation was helping me identify the "not enough" piece. Ever since that day, I've been searching out ways to get live music back into my life. And on that end, I'm succeeding in a big way. So even if you can't think of something you have "too much" of, spend a moment today thinking about the "not enough" part. I bet bringing whatever it is into your life will give you some joy.

2 comments:

  1. Pat, I find information overload via the media to sometimes become overwhelming (the current favorite seems to be politics). I often hear "did you see this,did you hear about..??? Those questions often give the illusion that I have some sort of control over many things that are completely out of my hands.An occasional media "fast"and more solitude via Zen meditation are usually the cure for me.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter; I love the idea of an occasional media "fast"!

    I'm going to implement that immediately. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete