About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Grade (So Far): Ambition

With more years behind me than in front of me, lately I've been reflecting on some key attributes and how I'd grade myself on those attributes given my life choices to this point. Since I can be as linear as the next person, I'll start at the beginning of the alphabet. So for the first entry in this series, "A" is for ambition.

Ambition: An earnest desire for some type of achievement or distinction, such as power, fame, wealth, etc.

Making an attempt to put both false modesty and wishful thinking aside, given the above definition, Pat gives Pat a "C" for ambition to this point. How would you grade yourself on this attribute at this point in your life? Of the three components my dictionary cites, the "fame" piece of ambition has always had the most appeal for me. Which of the three has the most appeal for you? Or, has ambition manifested itself for you in a way not cited in this particular definition?

Next attribute in the series: Bravery. Homework, anyone?

4 comments:

  1. Fame?

    Boy, you deaf, dumb, and blind?

    Listning to you, I get the music
    Gazing at you, I get the heat
    Following you, I climb the mountain
    I get excitement at your feet

    Right behing you, I see the millions
    On you, I see the glory
    From you, I get opinion
    From you, I get the story

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bxtS6UeOyo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; Not ddb at all; just trying to be honest about which of those three components of ambition has any appeal to me since money and power do not. Guess it's the whole "leaving a permanent mark" internal conversation I have going on that leads me to say fame has some appeal. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. The examples "power, fame and wealth" make ambition sound driven by materialism, but I'm sure there must be more noble examples. I give myself a B+ for having ambition but a C for hitting the mark so far. Not out of time yet though. I wonder if ambition wanes after a certain age? Hope not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim; You're right about the three examples my dictionary cites being more materialistic. Before I get to "S" in this series and possibly grade myself on "success", I better give that more thought.

      Delete