About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, April 20, 2013

My Grade (So Far): Tolerance

tolerance: a fair and objective attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality or the like differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry

Let me start by saying I'm glad I worked through most of the alphabet before grading myself on tolerance. How would you grade yourself (so far) on this attribute?

Saul Alinsky has been quoted saying "I'm only intolerant of the intolerant". And given my sympathy for Alinsky's view, considering the definition above, my challenge remains developing a more objective attitude toward those whose opinions differ from mine. How about you? Which of the other four dimensions included in that definition (practices, race, religion, nationality) is most challenging for you?

Moving to the "freedom from bigotry" part of the definition gives me some pause as well. Although I've worked hard at the bigoted parts of myself - freedom? Hardly. On balance, I'll give myself a "B-" for tolerance and stay committed to more growth. It's worth the effort.   

No comments:

Post a Comment