About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Memorializing An Important Day

When my Mom died in 1977, I was a self-absorbed 28 year old just off a difficult year. Also, because my journalling discipline wasn't as rigorous then, the written record of our interactions is erratic. Mother's Day throughout the years? Although I remember my Mother fondly, I have no reliable recollections or journal entries about this important day. Did I own a camera? If yes, I can't locate any pictures. How does my experience compare with yours?  

Seeing the connection my young adult daughter has with her mother makes me proud and happy. It also makes me wistful about those gaps in my memory. My daughter wrote a beautiful card, gave her Mom a thoughtful gift, took several pictures of the three of us after our Mother's Day breakfast. I hope when she gets home she also writes something in her journal. Words on a page are precious; they help preserve memories in ways even pictures sometimes do not. And it's never too late to start.

http://reflectionsfromthebellcurve.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-mothers-legacy.html

No comments:

Post a Comment