About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Rockin' Heaven Down

Over the last 20 years, my enjoyment of concerts by rock musicians of my age group has been touch and go. For every Joe Jackson or Boz Scaggs show that has delighted me there have been dispiriting affairs by many others, including artists who used to be favorites.

Watching Heart tear it up on TV the night they were inducted into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame was encouraging; seeing them live recently was inspiring. What was the last concert you attended that similarly inspired you? Two quibbles to get out of the way: The sound at PNC Arts Center continues to be atrocious. And, I would have enjoyed hearing more than one new tune even at the expense of all those great hits.

Putting that aside, Ann Wilson was in extraordinary voice and her sister Nancy shares with the exceptional Bonnie Raitt a rare distinction - a woman who plays fierce electric guitar. The Wilson sisters have always had a good ear for superb supporting musicians; their current band fits the bill. Finally, their generous encore was a Led Zeppelin feast. Though Zeppelin was never a personal favorite of mine, the way Heart attacked those songs was ferocious and very un-ladylike. Cool.   

1 comment:

  1. Tried to comment on this before, but id didn't show up. You forgot the best part of the night - the thunderstorm and the lawn seats!

    ReplyDelete