About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, July 22, 2013

The Unsung Unseen

The offline feedback I've received about my July 17 post on translators got me refIecting more broadly on how easy it is to overlook people who support those in the limelight. Which group(s) are some of your candidates for the unsung?

How about accompanists? As one who is better supporting a singer than soloing, this is an unsung group close to my heart. In the world of film, cinematographers remain largely invisible, despite their critical role. Each time a book feels padded to me, I'm reminded of models of concision like Julian Barnes' "The Sense Of An Ending" and wonder - How much impact did Barnes' editor have on the final product?

How would an unsung role like these appeal to you? I wonder - How much do the unsung enjoy being mostly unseen?

No comments:

Post a Comment