About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, March 22, 2015

A Crab And A Tiny Puddle

Most of us have heard the expression "big fish in a small pond". This humble blogger/infrequent crab recently witnessed behavior so self-important he's decided the body of water needs a demotion.

Aside from the chilly, pompous moderator, one book club I attended on/off for a few years had many of the elements I relish - big group, good selections, enjoyable process not involving everyone having to "rate" the books. When the imperious moderator announced her retirement at a meeting, I stifled my whoop of joy.

The person taking the retiring moderator's seat was pleasant, tried hard and maintained the quality of the selections. Unfortunately, big fish decided she was now going to be "just a participant" after having led the meetings for many years. Watching her successor try to run meetings as this diva pontificated - and all her previous "followers" oohed at pronouncements masquerading as insights - was so uncomfortable I stopped attending. What's been your most recent experience with a big fish in a tiny puddle? Surely I'm not the only crab to have witnessed this.

No comments:

Post a Comment