About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, March 26, 2015

A Second First

What was the first movie that made a lasting impression on you? What about it was so memorable?

http://reflectionsfromthebellcurve.blogspot.com/2015/02/recalling-first.html

Since writing the post above a month ago, several other firsts have been rattling my brain. With movies, it boiled down to three - The Magnificent Seven, West Side Story & Ben Hur. Although none would make my top ten list, they all made an indelible impression. But I couldn't remember which was the first I'd seen. Any non-Google guesses about the release date of each? Hold that thought - first, the allure of each to my young sensibilities and remember - I didn't know back then I'd grow into such a film freak.

The Magnificent Seven - James Coburn's cool in the knife throwing scene; the first time I recall hearing anyone swear in a movie (two of the seven say "damn" as they lay dying).

West Side Story - The Sharks' purple shirts and black ties; the choreography in the scene featuring "Cool"; not being 100% sure of the final lyric in "Gee Officer Krupke".

Ben Hur -  The chariot scene and its aftermath as Stephen Boyd lies dying.

Drum roll, please. And the first one released was...Ben Hur, 1959. I was only nine years old, unless it was released after November 23. I recall several other scenes, but it's very possible that chariot scene started my lifelong love affair with film. How about you?

1 comment:

  1. The Graduate. Goldfinger. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. How the West Was Won. The Good the Bad and the Ugly. Mary Poppins. Sound of Music. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Journey to the Center of the Earth. The Time Machine. Around the World in 80 Days. How to Steal a Million. Far from the Madding Crowd. Doctor Zhivago. The Great Escape. Many more...

    ReplyDelete