About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, March 16, 2015

Legacy, Re-Visited

http://reflectionsfromthebellcurve.blogspot.com/2011/03/words-that-can-haunt-me-legacy.html

In the post above, written four years ago today, I asked if leaving a legacy crossed your mind as frequently as it does mine. Given what is about to unfold, I'm relieved my daughter is mentioned in that post.

Recently she asked me if we could together perform one of my original songs for an upcoming NYC showcase. Accompanying her singing in any setting has always reduced me to puddles. But even the anticipation of her doing one of my songs for a live audience is taking me to another level.

When my daughter was two, our family of three went on a whale watch off the coast of Maine. While the movement of the boat rocked her to sleep, I held her against my chest and could feel her heartbeat. It was a moment I will never forget.

As I continue treasuring that moment from twenty four years ago, consider the countless joys my daughter has given me in between, and add my excitement about our upcoming performance, the word legacy loses some of its ability to haunt me.

2 comments:

  1. From Shakespeare's 12th Night
    (sung by the clown)
    ***
    What is love? 'tis not hereafter;
    Present mirth hath present laughter;
    What's to come is still unsure:
    In delay there lies no plenty;
    Then come kiss me, sweet and twenty,
    Youth's a stuff will not endure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just reduced me to puddles.

    ReplyDelete