About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, February 25, 2017

In My Perfect World

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/racism-and-intolerance-conversations-tickets-31414064312

On Sunday March 12, the Unitarian Universalist Church in Cherry Hill, NJ - in partnership with other local religious groups - is hosting an event called "Racism and Intolerance Conversations". Tickets are available via the link above.

I was pleased a good friend - a former Deputy Attorney General from the NJ Office of Bias Crime - recently asked me to be a part of this effort. Working with the folks from this community who have volunteered to facilitate these conversations was inspiring for me, not least because the volunteers I helped to train had obviously done a fair amount of soul searching on this subject before agreeing to assist at the event. The personal stories each of the volunteers told during our practice sessions were powerful and moving. There is so much work to be done here.

For anyone looking for a useful educational tool to help them in their work on this important topic, I highly recommend "13th", a 2016 Academy Award nominee for best documentary. In my perfect world, Ava DuVernay's film would be required viewing for every American.         

No comments:

Post a Comment