About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, May 23, 2011

I'm Off To See The Wizard

"We are always more anxious to be distinguished for a talent we do not possess than to be praised  for the fifteen we do possess": Mark Twain

With a nod to Mark Twain, today I'm off to see the wizard. Since I'm OK right now in the brains, heart, and courage categories (coincidentally, in approximate descending order), I want the man behind the curtain to give me the talent of improvisation. And, I'll take it in any form - musical, verbal, mechanical. That's in order of preference. What about you? For what talent would you knowingly face those flying monkeys?

Lest I be accused of being too modest (Sue!), I do have a list compiled of the 15 talents I do possess. Actually I tally 17, but I'm not counting brains or heart or courage - all too broad. But being able to  truly improvise without hesitation or inner critics would be swell. Although I've spent many years studying how to do this with music, I wouldn't mind some extra help now. Same goes for verbal improv; I love it when I come up with my own puns on the spot but as the main character in Saul Bellow's novel "Henderson The Rain King" chants throughout that book "I want..." 

So do I, Mr. Henderson, so do I. And how about the rest of you Hendersons?

       

1 comment:

  1. Pat great insight. This is the time of life that to be compassionate to others and to self. I guess life is an improv . More than we all acknowledge.

    ReplyDelete