About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, October 17, 2011

Over-Rated Virtues

What are some of your choices for over-rated virtues? My top choice = maturity.

This past weekend, a friend's son told me he'd long ago heard me say one of my aims in life was to be called immature forever. Aside from being pleased he remembered something I'd said, I soon realized this remains true. I'm no Peter Pan. I have no interest in dressing like people much younger than me; I've always been involved with women close to my own age; I don't pretend to get the SNL jokes that are meant to exclude the old farts (me). At the same time, I have little tolerance when I hear "act your age" or worse, when people suggest I consider not doing things they deem "age-inappropriate". What does that mean anyway?

When I want to be silly, maturity be damned. If I want to go somewhere to dance, I refuse to be intimidated or self-conscious doing what Billy Crystal called "the white man's over-bite" even if most everyone else on the dance floor is the same age as my daughter. Frankly, being mature has often struck me as a bit...boring.

Maybe I should have saved this to use as a Mr. Id post? Anyway, which virtues strike you as being over-rated? 

No comments:

Post a Comment