About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Being More Fully Human

I'm convinced certain people seem to send out the message "I'm here to help". I'm just as convinced I'm not one of those people.

I watched this dynamic at work this past week. On a service trip to Mammoth Cave National Park, there were 22 of us working side-by-side; one individual had some slight mobility issues. Wherever we worked or hiked, a kinder soul than I appeared at that individual's side to help minimize struggles. When I complimented her late in the week, the kind soul's response did not surprise me. She said to me "You would do the same thing". In my experience, grace and her type of unselfish unwillingness to help others often go together. How consistent is this with your experience of people?

I met several highly educated, well travelled, accomplished people on this trip. The one who will remain most firmly etched in my memory? No contest - the one who inspired me to be more fully human.

1 comment: