About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Replacing (Not Retiring) A Word

Aside from missing many of the people I worked with and some of the work I did from 2003-2010, I love being retired. But that word retired and the stereotypes that often accompany it are getting on my nerves.

I can hear you out there: I don't stereotype, you protest. Nonsense, that's the same as claiming you're without prejudices. We all stereotype from time to time and we all pre-judge situations or people frequently; it is otherwise near impossible to make sense of all the information coming at us. Can anyone reasonably claim the word retired has never conjured some picture in their head? Crossword puzzles? Florida? Green shoes or belt on a golf course? Gray and/or thinning hair? (For the record, I fit that last stereotype).

So, much as I dislike euphemisms, and at the risk of appearing over-sensitive, I'm retiring the word itself. I'm replacing retired with "ceased full time work". Just 4 syllables vs. 3 so it's almost as easy to say as "GWB" is instead of "George Washington Bridge" . BTW, ever noticed how both of those are three syllables, even though one is 3 letters and the other 3 words? I've always wondered why traffic reporters bothered in the first place; it's not like they're saving any breath. Pat, who has ceased full time work, signing off for now.

2 comments:

  1. The artist formerly known as Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. The image of Pat hitting the links each day sporting his green belt, Ralph Loren polo and palm tree visor is a riot. Is that today's half-finished crossword stuck in his back pocket? He's just not been the same since he ceased full-time work. "Fore...!"

    ReplyDelete